An outline of the Scottish system of justice for children and young people and its underlying philosophy written by an expert in this field under the flowing chapter headings:
1. Children in Trouble in Scotland
2. Community Responsibility
3. The Children’s Panel: Community in Action
4. Lay People and Professionals
5. Children’s Rights
6. A Solid Foundation for Care: Grounds Firmly Established
7. Care Through Social Responsibility
8. Voluntary and Compulsory Supervision
9. A Snapshot of the Daily Life of the Children’s Panel: Fife Child Care Inquiry
10. The Scottish Children’s Panel and Europe.
Plus a Glossary of Terms and a brief Bibliography.
‘Very interesting reading’: The Law
Alistair Kelly was the Regional Reporter in Fife, Scotland, for 20 years until his retirement in 1996 when he compiled this book. As such, he was Scotland’s longest serving children’s reporter with an expert knowledge of the subject matter.